I welcome enquiries from prospective doctoral candidates wishing to undertake ethnographic research relating to the following research areas:
- everyday encounters with the state, borders, infrastructure
- the anthropology of bureaucracy
- migration experiences and migration regimes
- gifting and remitting practices
- moral reasoning around inequality, wealth and poverty
- gendered dimensions of postsocialist change
- ethnicity, conflict and ‘preventive development’
My regional interests lie in Russia, Central Asia (including Afghanistan, Xinjiang and Post-Soviet Central Asia) and the Caucasus, though I welcome enquiries outside these areas.
Prospective doctoral researchers should have facility in the relevant local and scholarly language(s) before submitting an application.
Information on applying to the doctoral programme in Social Anthropology at the University of Manchester is available here.